Butter chicken, also known as ‘Murg Makhani’, is a dish that originated in the Daryaganj, Delhi and it is most popular in the Indian state of Punjab. These are tender boneless chicken pieces cooked in tomato gravy, rich in butter and cream.
The perfect mix of butter and spices gives the dish its irresistible taste. This is the reason why it is popular in India as well as, in a number of countries like the U.S.A, Canada, and New Zealand.
Tempted? Well, in this blog we have provided a step-by-step guide on how you can prepare butter chicken recipe in Punjabi style.
Ingredients required for preparing Punjabi style butter chicken recipe
1. Oil – 2 tbsp
2. Green Cardamom (Ilaychi) – 2
3. Black cardamom (Badi Ilaychi)
4. Cloves (Laung)
5. Cinnamon stick (Dalchini)- 1-inch piece
6. Onion-1 cup
7. Salt to taste
8. Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
9. Kasturi Methi – 1 tsp
10. Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tsp
11. Garam masala – 1 tsp
12. Tandoori masala – 1 tsp
13. Chicken – 1/2 kg
14. Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
15. Tomato Puree – ½ cup.
16. Butter – 2 tbsp
17. Curd – 2 tbsp
18. Cashew nut paste – 2 tbsp
Step-by-Step by guide to prepare butter chicken recipe in Punjabi style
1. In a bowl, take washed chicken cubes (make sure it is boneless).
2. Now, add spices to marinate the chicken: ginger-garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, turmeric, and roasted cumin powder and mix it well!
3. Cool the mixture for 30 – 40 minutes.
4. In a pan, take some oil. Make sure the oven is on medium flame. After the oil turns hot, add chicken pieces one after the other.
5. Fry both sides of the chicken until it turns red. Make sure it’s fried properly by gently pressing down each piece.
6. In a large pan, add some butter, oil, bay leaf, green cardamom, mace, and garlic. Keep stirring on medium flame.
7. Cook till the flavor of the garlic enters the mixture.
8. Next, add tomatoes to the mixture and cook it until it turns soft. Add salt to speed up the cooking of tomatoes.
9. Turn off the flame and allow the contents to cool down a bit.
10. Transfer the contents in bowl and keep it aside.
11. In a separate pan, take some butter green chilies, and ginger. Cook till the aroma of ginger fades away.
12. Going forward, add Kashmiri red chili powder, salt, and garam masala to the gravy and mix well.
13. Add cream and honey. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add water if the gravy turns too thick.
14. Add the pan-fried chicken pieces and dried fenugreek leaves to the gravy and mix well.
15. Cover the pan and cook on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
16. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Butter Chicken calories
On an average, one boneless chicken breast with sauce contains 438 calories. You can savor it with Tandoori Roti or Butter nun without the fear of consuming excess calories.
Taste Authentic Butter Chicken in Punjabi Style at the Urban Tandoor
If you’re craving for authentic butter chicken in Punjabi Style, then Urban Tandoor is the best place to head to. Our chefs are well-trained and know how exactly Punjabis prepare this mouth-watering dish. To top it all, we always use fresh spices sourced from genuine vendors from different parts of India.
So, what are you waiting for? Give us a call on +1 (719) 593-1126 to book your seat at the best Indian restaurant in Colorado Springs serving this famous dish.